I promised the original Facebook poster that I’d put this on my blog to warn other parents about this potential danger:
It took my brain a moment to actually understand what happened in the picture… (It doesn’t take much to get me confused, lol!) Apparently, someone had left the visor down with the mirror exposed. (Some visors have covers for the mirrors; others don’t.) The mirror must have acted like Piggy’s glasses in Lord of the Flies and started a fire!
Thank goodness it happened while they were in the car! But can you imagine what could have happened if this had been in a parking lot while they were out shopping or running errands?!?
I mean, who’d think something like this could happen?
So here are a few suggestions:
- get in the habit of checking that all visors are up
- make sure no mirrors/lenses or any potential fire starters are left in the car
- tape all mirrored visors shut and put a little affirmation saying, “You’re beautiful!”
There are some posts on Facebook that I could easily do without… then there are ones like this that could easily avoid tragedies.
I’m so thankful I saw this picture this morning- and also glad that the poster’s family was not hurt. That image of the scorched upholstery will be burned in my mind for quite a while…
(Yes, I did go there!)
Make it your 153Promise to keep your family safe at all times!