When I think of this song by Sade, I hear her dulcet tones and sultry groove. But I also think it’s a great backdrop to inspire having a calm start to your children’s day.
Leaving for school can be stressful, and this sets the tone for the rest of the day. But a few strategies can make the morning more like a mellow jazz pop tune… and less death metal:
- Have your child pack his/her school bag the night before and place it in the same spot every evening. That way, there’s no forgetting any homework for class.
- Do the same with sports equipment and all ride arrangements. That way, there’s no, “Can I text my mom/dad/sibling about…” requests when teaching is supposed to be taking place.
- Plan lunches the night before. It can actually be a nice ritual if there’s a fun bento-style lunch box and ready-made, healthy go-to items like baby carrots and apples; protein spreads like hummus, nut butters; string or cottage cheese; whole wheat pitas or tortillas… What better way to make sure they’re getting good nutrition than to buy these at the store?
- If they get ready and off to school by themselves, have a designated spot for all signed forms, tests, etc… That way, if your family are more like ships passing in the night, it makes communication easier.
- Have them choose their laundry the night before. Then, if laundry is an issue, they can help you put in a load of wash when they get home and dry it in the evening… never a last-minute scavenger hunt to find something 5 minutes before leaving… or being late.